My first marathon

It’s finally over. I ran my first marathon yesterday. I finished the 2008 Marine Corps Marathon.

To start off I’d like to say that the Marine Corps had a first class organization going and I can’t say enough about how awesome all the marines were. What I’m about to write might seem like the most miserable experience in the world but it wasn’t. They were very encouraging and motivating. Even at the worst parts I caught myself smiling and laughing at something they said. I’ll never forget when we crossed mile 19 and I was hurting bad. There was a marine on a bullhorn telling us our time. He said it had been 4 hours and “That’s what you get for walking!” I laughed my ass off for a few minutes.

I also spent some time alongside the guy who wears the Teddy Roosevelt mascot gear at the Nationals game. RESPECT to that guy. I don’t know how he did it. That head is huge. It was hard to feel sorry for myself when I saw him chugging along.

Anyway, on to my run……

I woke up at 6am yesterday and managed to get out of the house at 6:45. If I didn’t know any better I would have thought that I was gonna be really early for the 8am start. This was my fourth race though so I knew that getting to the starting line was gonna take a lot longer then I’d expect. I was right. I got there with only 10 minutes to spare.

It was really cold yesterday morning. I went out with a t-shirt and shorts so I was REALLY cold. I knew, though, that once I started racing I would warm up considerably. It’s just another example of how important having some experience can be. I can’t overstate how important running those earlier races was. Every little thing that I worried about in the past was completely settled in my mind. What to wear, how to do my bib, my chip, where to line up, etc. I knew what I was doing. It was actually kind of bored as I made my way to the start. No jitters.

We lined up in a huge line according to our expected finish time. The faster you thought you were, the closer you were to the start. I picked the 5:30-6 hour corral which was in the back. I figured that since I ran a 2:30 half marathon a 5 hour marathon was unrealistic.

By the time that I crossed the start line the sun had broken and the temperature had risin considerably. I wasn’t cold at all. A few minutes in and I was already sweating. I don’t think I passed too many people in the beginning. I just wanted to keep a slow steady pace.

The first 13 miles were pretty uneventful. I cruised along without much difficulty until mile 14 when my legs started really getting tired. Things got worse every mile afterwards. I ended up with a mix of running and walking until about mile 20. That’s where I hit the wall.

I’d pretty much reached my goal by that point. The only concern I’ve ever had about this race was beating the bridge. You have to reach the bridge at mile 20 in 5 1/4 hours or they put you on a bus and you’re not allowed to finish. I spent a lot of time in those miles leading up to the bridge constantly telling myself that I had to beat the bridge. It turns out that I beat it with an hour to spare.

With my biggest motivation gone it was hard to keep running. Every part of my lower body was hurting. My feet, my knees, my calves, my quads…. EVERYTHING. After mile 20 I’d say I had a mix of about 95% walking and 5% extremely slow jogging. I didn’t feel too bad about it because I was surrounded by hundreds of people doing the exact same thing. I never had any doubt that I would cross that line but it seemed like it would take forever. Every step hurt but there was really nothing to do but gut it out.

I crossed the finish line at a few seconds over 6 hours. I wish I could say that I had some huge feeling of accomplishment but I didn’t. I was miserable. I just wanted to go home.

When I did get home I acted like the biggest baby in the world. My wife is an angel. She helped me take off my gear so I could take a shower. Then I sat on the couch and she brought me food and drinks while I moaned and groaned like I was gonna die. After I ate I went to bed and slept 14 hours. My night was spent alternating between shivering cold and profuse sweating. It was pretty rough.

It’s been 24 hours since the race and I feel MUCH better now. Almost good as new. Today I’m really happy that I ran that thing. Today I feel really proud. Today I can say that it was all worth it.


10 responses to “My first marathon

  1. Congratulations Kirk. I’ve been following your training for months, you’ve been my role model (I’m a year or so behind you training wise). One month ago I’d have sworn there was no way you could’ve done this, you had entry after entry of aborted runs and despair…but you did it.

    I’m proud of you, big guy!

  2. I, too, have been following you. Congrats on finishing!

  3. Congrats, Kirk! I’m proud of you for finishing the race and for sharing your feelings on your blog. I like that you post all of the gory details as well as the sunshine and butterflies.

    What’s next?

  4. Congratulations! Now you can cross that one off your “to-do” list, and you’ve got a bit of a fresh start again with your training. I love fresh starts.

  5. Kirk, you are a legend mate.

    There have been times in this journey that I thought you were going to chuck it all in but you didn’t. You stuck with it and you did it!

    Well done!

  6. Congrats Kirk! Proud of you for finishing and gutting it out to reach the magic 26.2 mile mark.

    Enjoy the moment and good luck with the recovery,


  7. OMG that’s so awesome, congrats!!!!

    What’s next on your list?

  8. WAY TO GO!!!! I thought about you Sunday and wondered how things were going for you. What an accomplishment!!!!!

    And kudos to the wife for taking care of you! 🙂

    Like everyone else, I want to know…what’s next?!?!

  9. Congrats, its an inspiration.

    currently up to 11 miles compared to the 1.5 I could run 6 months ago.

  10. As reunning goes its clear from the content of your blog that you are on top of you game and your passionate about this sport. Thanks for sharing with me and giving me additional inspiration. I too am in the process of writing about my fav pastime and in this process I am aiming to give some honest reviews of products that are out there in the market, already used for the sport. Thanks James

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s